Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fifth Day in London

We walked our feet to the bone on Day 3. We were sight-seeing fools on Day 4. And because those two days damn near killed us, we decided to be sensible on Day 5. We only planned two activities yesterday.

Our first order of business was to make our way to the Tower of London. Once there, we made a bee-line for the Crown Jewels to beat the crowds.








We went on a highly entertaining (and at the same time educational) tour with a Yeoman Warder, better known as a Beefeater.

When I retire, I want to become a tour guide. I think I would enjoy taking people around museums and cities and castles and gardens; sharing my love of travel and history and throwing in my own anecdotes. One day.




From the Tower of London we made our way across town. By bus, of course, not foot!

We had reservations at Fortnum & Mason for high tea in the Jubilee Tearoom. I was a wee bit nervous because as you know I am not the most graceful person.




But I minded my Ps and Qs pretty well and I didn't embarrass myself too badly. (Well, except for when I kept making Joe take 'selfies' of us over and over again because my bra strap kept slipping down onto my arm. Keepin' it classy since 1958.)




Our server was absolutely delightful. We knew we were in the right place when the first words out of her mouth were, "Would you like a glass of champagne to start?"

High tea was delicious. The service was impeccable.

We started with a savoury dish. Joe had a lobster omelet. I went with my all-time favourite. Eggs Benedict.




The tea was poured perfectly. I chose to drink the 'Royal Blend'. Joe was much fancier and picked 'Assam'. There were hundreds of teas to choose from!




Then came the 3 tiered cake plates of scones and cakes, jars of jam and a silver pot of clotted cream.




And if that wasn't enough, there were four other kinds of cakes sitting on a table in the middle of the tearoom. All we had to do was ask and our server would slice us a piece. Joe asked. For three pieces. Just to taste, mind you.




And the kicker? We could eat as much as we wanted! Our server would replenish the cake plate with whatever we requested. Not that we requested. We were so full we felt as if we would burst.

And then this happened.

FORTNUM & MASON DO DOGGY-BAGS!

Seriously? We were shocked when our server said at the end of our meal, "I'll just pack this up for you." Whatever was left on the cake plates (and there was plenty) was ours to take with us. Even the jars of jam and lemon curd! I was so excited!

But don't worry. I kept my cool and pretended like this happened to me every day of my life.




*Click on the photos for close-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment