Sunday, July 28, 2013

Freedom 55

You know the saying "Age is only a number"? It is absolutely true. Every single word of it.

Today I celebrated my 55th birthday. I don't feel that age. Oh sure, my bones and muscles are creaky and sore every once in a while. But feel 55? Not a chance.

I feel more like 25.

And sometimes I catch a glimpse of this overweight white-haired woman in the mirror and think "Who the hell is she?"

Looking out from this body I still feel youthful. I am game to try new things. I love learning. I enjoy hanging out with young people. (And then am shocked to discover I'm 30+ years older than they are. I always think we are the same age.) I'm interested in popular culture. I am young at heart.

Why do you think I teach 5 and 6 year olds? BECAUSE WE ARE KINDRED SPIRITS!

To celebrate my special day, Joe took me out for lunch at the Queens Arms in Pitminster, a little village about 10 minutes away from here by car. The building doesn't look like much, but behind its walls is a very good chef.


We sat at an open window in a charming dining room.





Joe asked for a yummy bottle of prosecco to start things off right.


We ordered roast beef with all the trimmings. It was the best meal we've had in England thus far.


I'd have 'licked the platter clean' but I didn't want to embarrass myself in public.


We barely had room in our stomachs for dessert but how could we say no to a dish of 'Gooseberry Fumble'?


So remember, age is only a number. Every birthday we live to see is cause for celebration. Another year! How lucky we are!

Gotta run! Joe and I are heading down to the local pub. It's 'Open Mic Night'. Who knows? Maybe I'll get up and belt out a couple of tunes for the crowd. You only live once!

*Don't forget to click on the photos to enlarge them!


2 comments:

  1. You are so wise for such a young woman. What a wonderful way to spend your Bday! A toast to you on this special day! Cheers from the Blackwells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riun and Jeanete! I had a wonderful birthday.

      Delete