Monday, July 22, 2013

Bath and Wells

After accidentally deleting my first post about Bath and Wells, I've decided to re-write it. Man, I am a SUPER DWEEB when it comes to computers. I don't know what I'm doing half the time. I am a make-work project for sure.

Anyhoo...

We visited Bath a few days ago. I had never realized the significance of this important, historical city. We went on a two hour walking tour with a very knowledgable and affable gentleman. I love these kinds of tours. I am also a WALKING TOUR DWEEB! I hang on every word the docent says.

We learned all about Georgian architecture.




We learned there are many 500 year old trees in the city of Bath. Look at the size of those things!




We learned the Romans were some kind of crazy engineers to build these baths on top of a thermal spring 2,000 years ago.













Our next stop was the city of Wells to see its cathedral. Again, I am continually blown away by what people were capable of creating 800 years ago. And that it is as beautiful today as it was then.










The oldest, continually occupied street in Europe is Vicar's Close. It was built in 1348 to house the cathedral's choir. Some of these homes are rented out for holidays!




*As always, please click on the photos to enlarge them.

No comments:

Post a Comment