Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bouchon Lyonnais

Salade Lyonnias

Potatoes Gratin Dauphinois

Pot au Feu Cochon

When we were in Lyon yesterday, Joe really wanted to go to a restaurant that was 'Bouchon Lyonnais'. It is a restaurant that specializes in the typical food of the Lyon region.

Paige and Joe started with onion soup which they said was delicious. Molly and I both had a salade Lyonnais, which was also very tasty. We were so hungry we gulped it all down.

Our main dishes came out shortly after. Joe, always the adventurous eater, ordered a tripe sausage. Molly and Paige played it safe with steak and potatoes gratin Dauphinois.

I, on the other hand, had a hankering for some pork. So I ordered 'Pot au Feu Cochon', thinking it was a kind of pork stew.

Was I ever wrong! Out came a black kettle of pig parts (tail and ear) in a clear broth with one boiled potato and about 20 pickles. The rest of my family convulsed into laughter at the look on my face. I did eat it. And it was good.

Lesson learned: Cochon = Pig. Porc = pork.

I'll know better next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I do not think France is a vegetarian's paradise. I think even that salad has bacon on it, I mean lardon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. other than what Chloe calls the "boy part" it looks yummy. Margaret- France is not vegetarian turf- there is a "vegetarian" restaurant in Paris and every menu item has some kind of meat product. In France they don't consider organs and the not so pleasant bits "meat" hahahaha, isn't that kind of funny!

    ReplyDelete