Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spending Spree


Since Joe has nearly squandered the kids' inheritance on cookware, clothing, booze and duck fat, I thought I had better get shopping before the money has run dry.

As most of you know, my favourite places on earth are junk stores and antique shops (with junk in the lead by a mile). So that's where we could be found on Monday...at the world famous 'Marche aux Puces' on the outskirts of Paris.

Unfortunately many of the shops were closed, it being August and all. But that did not deter me.

I am currently reading 'A Moveable Feast' by Ernest Hemingway and I learned that in the 1920s and 1930s drinks in Parisian bars were served on small saucers with the price of the drink stamped onto the edge of the saucer. You can imagine my pleasure when I found a dusty stack of these little plates under a table.

My purchase came to a whopping 10 euros.

I am such a cheap date.

2 comments:

  1. you can serve Dan his coffees on this plate and then he will know how much to leave for Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. so will we have a little something on them on the 21st? Maybe during an intermission from our back-yard song-fest?

    ReplyDelete