Thursday, July 30, 2009

Arts and Tarts


Joe and I went on a self-guided walking tour of Montmartre yesterday. Our guide book called it the 'Arts and Tarts' walk. Montmartre is the little village up behind the Sacre Coeur Basilica where brothels, bohemians, Picasso, Renoir, Moliere, and Utrillo all played their part in making the area famous. We spent a pleasant day strolling down leafy lanes, learning some history, and seeing a part of Paris we hadn't visited before.

Later that evening, we took the metro out to Belleville (another interesting district of Paris) to eat some Thai food. It is always a challenge for us to order Asian food from an all-French menu. Talk about confusing! But the kind people at the next table quickly came to our aid and helped us translate a few terms we weren't familiar with.

I hear it is terribly hot at home. I'd hate to rub salt in anyone's wound, but
the temperature here in Paris is perfect! It ranges from 23 - 28 C and every day is a nice mix of sun and clouds. I hope the heat wave has run its course by the time we get back in mid-August!

We talked to 2 of our 3 kids last night. They sound great and Will is doing a good job of keeping home and hearth going.

Joe and I haven't yet planned what we're going to do today. It is such a TREAT to not have a care in the world and the only decision we have to make is which art museum to go to, or which arrondissment to explore. Heaven......I'm in heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Diana just sent me your blog & after several attempts at cutting & pasting I did it!!!! Very pleased to hear you are seeing the world again. Have a wonderful time Nancy & Joe. Yes it is very hot but cooling a bit today. We broke all kinds of records the past 3 days. from Irene Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. I am jsut tryign to decide if I shoudl go on the walk with Susha. It's moved to Saturday. I would need to leave in th next 30 seconds.
    Have a tarte citron for me
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete