Monday, August 8, 2011

Strike While The Iron's Hot

About three years ago, I learned about a tiny shop in Paris called 'Astier de Villatte'. They made ceramics of all kinds, everything in white. I'd sit for hours and drool over their on-line catalogue. I fell in love with a vase that resembled a tin can. How I adored it.

In 2009 Joe and I were in Paris for an extended stay. Going to Astier de Villatte was definitely on my 'to do' list. But it kept getting shoved down the list as we visited museums, sat in gardens and ate ourselves silly. At the tail end of our trip, we finally made the trek down rue Saint Honore to the shop. IT WAS CLOSED FOR 'LES VACANCES'! I was crushed. I was beyond disappointed. And to make matters worse, the sign on the door said that they had just closed up the day before. We had missed it by one day! Why hadn't we gone earlier? I knew all of Paris went on holidays in August! I was so mad at myself.

Fast forward to the present day.

We arrived in Paris on Saturday afternoon. We hadn't even dropped our bags in the apartment when Joe said, "Come on! Let's get outta here! Let's go for a walk and find Astier de Villatte."

I groaned. I was whiny. I was tired. I didn't want to go that minute.

"We don't even know if they're open. They're probably closed for vacation. We don't have a map. I can't remember where it is."

Well Joe got on the computer and discovered the shop was open until 7:00 o'clock that night. He did a google map search and located rue St. Honore. "Get on your shoes. We're going."

We arrived at Astier de Villatte and were not disappointed. It was housed in an ancient building with peeling paint and worn stone floors. White ceramic cups, bowls, trays, plates, dishes, and platters sat on shelves that covered the walls from floor to ceiling. And there was my beloved vase. Just like I had imagined it three years before.

Joe also became enamoured with Astier de Villattes wares. He bought a serving bowl and 2 small plates.

As Madame was wrapping up our ceramics and Monsieur was ringing in the sale, we told them our tale of woe from 2009. Monsieur turned to us and said, "Well you are very lucky today because tomorrow we close for our vacation!"

I couldn't believe it! Thank you Joe for forcing me out the door that day. I would have been inconsolable if I had missed shopping at Astier de Villatte twice.

I have learned my lesson. Strike while the iron's hot.


- Posted from France by Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you and YAY for Joe! I look forward to seeing these coveted pieces.
    ~ jo xo
    PS - thanks for reposting, it was worth the wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scored huge points on this.

    ReplyDelete