Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pamela

Long ago and far away when I was a fresh faced teacher with light brown hair, I taught kindergarten at A.H.P. Matthews Elementary School in Surrey.

The year was 1986.

I had a great bunch of students. But none were as lovely as little Pamela.

Pamela had big sparkling eyes, an inquisitive nature, and a sweet personality. She was a teacher's dream.

Her mom and I became friends that year and we've stayed in touch ever since. There were visits when my babies were born; cards exchanged at Christmas time.

When I joined the Facebook revolution, Pam and I became 'friends'. We've been able to keep up-to-date with each others' lives.

You can imagine my surprise and joy when I received a message from Pam on Saturday night. "Hi Nancy! I am in Paris! Are you free tomorrow to have lunch?"

Of course we were free! Joe and I met Pam and her boyfriend Rylan outside the Musee d'Orsay at 1:30pm the next afternoon. We walked to a local cafe to have drinks and a bite to eat.


Pam has not changed. She still has those incredible sparkly eyes, is quick to laugh, and that bubbly personality of hers is so delightful.

We reminisced about the good ol' days when I was her teacher and she was my 5 year old student.

We couldn't believe our good fortune. Here we were 25 years later, enjoying each other's company in a sidewalk cafe in Paris! I said to her, "How many other former students and teachers are doing this?" We knew the answer to that question.


After lunch there were hugs all around. They were off to stroll the Champs Elysees and we were off to shop for our kids. Pam and Rylan were taking the train to Brussels the next morning. We wished them a 'Bon Voyage' and went our separate ways.

Life is so surprising. There is always something waiting around every corner.

Thank you, Pam and Rylan for a wonderful visit on Sunday. It was great to see you. I am so happy we got to spend a couple hours together. Enjoy the rest of your European adventure!

- Posted from France by Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Nancy - I was hoping to see a picture but you have given us so much more - I must send you the picture of you in a similar stance with the little kindergartener all those years ago - you have and will always hold a very special place in our hearts. Safe travels to you and Joe and I hope for a coffee together soon too!

    Love, April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, any one who was taught by you would want to keep in touch. You touch all of their little hearts in huge ways.

    ReplyDelete