Thursday, August 4, 2011

More French Fun Facts

I swear I am 'googling' something every day I am in France. I am always so curious about the things I see and hear. This is what I've learned lately...


1) Pigeonniers were very important to France's farmers in the Middle Ages. I thought they were built to house the pigeons that were to be eaten. Nope! The pigeons were kept for their poop! The guano was an excellent fertilizer for the crops. Some people had pigeonniers in the roof of their house; others had them built onto the side of their barn. The really wealthy land owners had free-standing pigeonniers built. They were built on stone pillars to keep predatory animals out. See the caps on top of the pillars? That was to prevent rats from climbing into the pigeonniers as they couldn't negotiate around them. Fascinating, I know!


2) The steep slate roofs all had air vents built into them. The air circulation allowed lichen to grow between the stones making the roof waterproof!


3) There is archaeological evidence that grape vines have been grown in the Burgundy area for over 2,000 years.


4). There are over 37,000 communes in France. Many have fewer than 1,000 residents living in them. Each of those communes has a mayor. That's a heckuva lot of bureaucracy! Not to mention red tape.


5) I was talking to a primary school teacher from Marseilles today and she was telling me about the school system in France. French students (up to the age of 10) and their teachers attend school Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. They get 8 weeks of summer vacation, 2 weeks off in November, another 2 week holiday at Christmas, a FURTHER 2 weeks in February, and then a 2 week Spring Break. I'm requesting a transfer to France immediately.


6) Many times the outside of a home will look quite shabby. The plaster will be crumbling and the shutters haven't been painted since before the revolution. I've often wondered why some French people don't "keep up with the Joneses". It's because of the tax system! Taxation officers go around assessing houses from the outside. The poorer the house looks, the less tax the home owner has to pay! I'm sure if you were to enter any one of these homes, you'd be amazed at how beautiful it was on the inside.


7) No matter what, French women wear fancy footwear. Even if one walks with crutches, it is best to wear high heels!

3 comments:

  1. Tres interessant! Merci, Professeur Sotham. Et, votre demande de transfert est....denied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the facts. The only one I knew was the taxation on shabby houses. Gives me reason to not paint and quit mowing.
    The last reminds me of when Dan and I went on a cruise to Alaska. We would work out every day (As you know we are fitness freaks- and it is the way not to gain about 40 lbs.) Anyway, there was a group of women from New Jersey who went on the treadmills, stair climbers etc in full on heels- like 3 inches. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i am so interested i have to say the fun facts are a keeper nanc tooo cooool

    ReplyDelete