Thursday, February 17, 2011

Surrounded By Love


Fencepost Heart

A friend of mine collects heart-shaped rocks.

During the first week of last summer's vacation in Europe, I noticed a bunch of pebbles in a heart formation sitting on top of a fence post in Montserrat, Spain.  I took a photo of it for my friend and decided to keep my eyes open to look for more hearts throughout our trip.  

Stone Wall Heart

And whaddaya know!?  I found them everywhere!  Heart-shaped rocks nestled in stone walls, in cobblestone streets, on baptismal fonts in ancient churches, etched into limestone quarries, and on the feet of marble statues.  

Cobblestone Heart

Baptismal Font Heart circa 1672

Etched-In-Limestone Heart

Sandal Heart

I also found heart shapes cut into shutters, on building walls, and in the dirt.

Shutter Hearts

Dirt Heart

As I said, I found hearts everywhere.  And I still do to this very day.

After our recent Burns Supper I lifted off the red tartan cloth from my dining table and was totally taken by surprise to see a heart-shaped red wine stain on the bottom tablecloth!  (You can't really call it a successful dinner party unless some wine is spilled.) 

Like I said, hearts are everywhere.  So is everything else.  You just have to look.   

Red Wine Stain Heart


5 comments: