Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mother and Child Reunion

Big Mama and Harper

I first met Harper close to ten years ago when he was a Grade 6 student.  He and my daughters were members of the local swim team.  We all felt an instant bond with this boy and were devastated when we learned he was moving to Victoria after knowing him for only a couple of months.

To make sure the girls stayed connected with this fun-loving kid, Joe and I invited him to join our family on a two week road trip to San Francisco and Disneyland that summer.  Suffice it to say: that wacky vacation to California cemented our love for one another.  Harper jumped into our crazy family dynamics with a smile on his face, and happily took his turn sleeping on a therma-rest mattress on a series of hotel room floors.

Even though he lived on Vancouver Island, he became a permanent fixture in our house at Christmas, New Years, Easter, Spring Break, and summer holidays.  Many a night found me driving to and from Horseshoe Bay to either pick him up or to drop him off at the ferry terminal.

Harper returned to Squamish to finish high school and I saw him more often.  But like most kids around here, he quickly left this one-horse town for the bright lights of Vancouver as soon as he graduated.

Our paths had not crossed since then.  Until last Sunday.

Harper is currently living in Calgary and was recently in Vancouver to visit friends.  One of which was ME!  

Six of us met for lunch on Commercial Drive.  It was wonderful to see him.  He is tall and handsome.  He is quick to laugh and to make a joke.  Until then, I didn't realize how much I had missed him.    

I've learned that it really doesn't matter how often we see one another.  Because when we do meet up, the years seem to melt away.  I am instantly transported back to a time when Harper is 11 years old, and I am outside mowing my lawn for the fifth time that week when he and Paige bound in the door from school laughing hysterically about something ridiculous.

That boy holds a special place in my heart.  It was wonderful to see him last Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. I have only been in his company a couple of times at your house but found myself quickly drawn to his spirit. Handsome indeed - inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how tall is he?

    ReplyDelete