Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another Wonderful Day....

We arrived in Naples on a Saturday afternoon, and one of the first things Molly said was, "Hey! Let's go to mass at the cathedral tomorrow morning! I've already googled the address!" So Sunday morning found us walking the streets and alleys of Naples looking for the church. (Paige chose to sleep in and not join us on our adventure.)

We walked and walked through some very ancient neighbourhoods.

We got there a little early. Molly's info said the mass started at 11:00am, but the notice board said noon. So we sat on the steps and people watched as we waited.

The cathedral was extremely old and beautiful. And as it was August 15th, which is the feast day of the 'Assumption of Mary', it was a national holiday.

We chose a seat in a pew far removed from the front.
We sat down and waited for the mass to start.
Before we knew it, a young woman stopped beside us and asked Joe if he spoke English. He answered that he did. She then asked if he and his family would like to participate in the mass with the cardinal. CARDINAL?!

Joe said, "Okay."
Molly said, "Okay." (With a little prodding from Joe.)
Will said, "No thanks. But I'll take pictures."
She looked at me expectantly.
I said, "I'm not Catholic."
She said, "That doesn't matter. Come with us."
I reluctantly joined Molly and Joe and headed up to the front of the cathedral.

We sat down with others chosen from the congregation and received our marching orders.
Molly was to give the second reading in English.
Joe was to say a prayer in English.
The others were to say their parts in their native language.
And I was to carry up one of the gifts to the cardinal with five other people.

I was so nervous!
I kept saying to the girl, "I don't know what to do!"
She said, "Just follow what everyone else does."

Just before the mass was about to start, we all went up the stairs and sat below the altar.
I could barely breathe.
The cathedral was packed with worshippers and I'd have to get up in front of them!

Molly did an incredible job giving the second reading.
(The photo's not great, but that's her little head above the lectern just underneath the cardinal.)

Joe was next, but the photos of him didn't turn out. Sorry 'bout that Joe.

Me handing my gift to the cardinal.

When it was our turn, my group got up and walked into the sacristy. We lined up and got our gifts. Thankfully I was last in line. My gift to hand the cardinal was a small globe on a pedestal. We walked out in front of the congregation, bowed in front of the altar, and proceeded up the stairs. I'm sure my knees were knocking.

A priest introduced each person to the cardinal as they handed him their gift.
When it was my turn, I gave the globe to him and he put the sign of the cross on my forehead. As I was about to move away, he took hold of my hands and began to speak to me in Italian. For quite a while. I don't know what it was he said to me, but I found it very moving.
Then he gently rubbed my cheek with the back of his hand.
That's when I started to tear up.

After mass, the cardinal was swarmed by the parishioners. He is a rock star around this place!

Later, everyone in the group were individually introduced to the cardinal and he smiled broadly when we told him our countries of origin.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be participating in an Italian mass in Naples on a feast day.

With a cardinal, no less.

5 comments:

  1. Nancy, you are our ROCK STAR girl. Loving the trip entries - I look forward to each new gem. Thanks. Selene J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an adventure! I'm sure he was giving you blessings for the coming school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stories you will be able to tell your grandchildren will be very captivating...like they are now. How wonderful for all of you indeed. Now I have wet cheeks - very moving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous experience! I wonder what he said to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story. Who else can say they have done that? No one that I know. What a great trip.

    ReplyDelete