Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reno Update.

The 'upstairs' renovation is nearing completion.

We are still waiting for Joe's espresso machine to arrive.  (Man, that is one slow boat.)  When it gets delivered, the machine will be plumbed in and the electricity to that half of the kitchen can finally get turned on.


The trim has gone on the windows and doorways.  Yay!

I love this furniture.

I know people roll their eyes about my undying love for this couch and chair.  But I love them.  I really do.  They are part of me.

I acquired these two pieces in 1981 when I moved into my very first apartment.  I bought them for 50 bucks from our neighbours Mr. and Mrs. Tuckey who bought the furniture in 1927 when they got married.  Art Deco all the way, baby!

The couch and chair were upholstered in mohair.  Ay carumba, it was itchy to sit on!  The cushions and frame were stuffed with straw and horse hair.  And since the coiled springs were escaping through every hole imaginable, I also had straw and horse hair all over my bachelorette pad.

After we married, Joe came to love this furniture too.  We had it re-upholstered in 1990 in its original colours of deep burgundy and teal green.  But after 22 years of three kids jumping on it, 4 cats and 1 dog shedding on it, and a husband spilling coffee on it, the furniture was looking a wee bit tired.  So we had it professionally cleaned and it looks great!


Our draperies arrived from Restoration Hardware!  We were so excited to put them up!  Down came the hideously faded, gap-toothed and UGLY pink vertical blinds.

Another mess.

Attaching the drapery hooks.

Hanging one panel.

The drapes do NOT look like this in our living room.

This drapery project has been fraught with problems.  We have a valance to contend with.  The window is so wide we had to screw 2 rods together.  It was difficult to install the rod in such a tight space.  The drapery rings catch on the lip of the rod extensions.  The drapes puddle on the floor.  (I don't mind that so much.)  The fabric panels aren't wide enough.  They gape from the top.  We need more rings.  We need more hooks.  But on the upside, we do like the colour.  

Sigh.

WE DON'T LIKE THE DRAPES.  IN FACT, WE HATE THE DRAPES!

Back to the drawing board.



No comments:

Post a Comment