Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fitness Freak

Once upon a time back in the 'Land Of The 1980s', not only was I a young kindergarten teacher but I was an aerobics instructor as well.  I know, I know.  Hard to believe.  But it is true. 

Fitness instructor extraordinaire complete with headband.  
I love the elk's head on the back wall.

Not only was I a fitness buff, I was also a triathlete.
I competed in a couple of 'em in my time.

Competitor #422 at the start of the 
Sri Chinmoy Triathlon in Victoria, B.C.  1984.
I swam a total of 1.5 kms, biked 40 kms, and ran 10 kms.


My friend Cheryl and I crossing the finish line.

Me and my BFF Irene showing off our guns after completing the 
Sri Chinmoy Triathlon. 1984.

I already know your next question:
"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???"

Life is what happened.  Marriage, babies, school, working, laziness, no exercise, wine, too much food.  Waaaay too much food.  My list of excuses goes on and on.

I have recently re-connected with a fellow fitness instructor friend from those long-ago days.  Unlike me, Keith stayed in the biz and is now a personal trainer at a posh gym on the west side of Vancouver.  Irene and I, along with our husbands, met up with Keith yesterday afternoon and he put us through our paces. He sure did.  Oh yes, he did.

Keith gives me a few pointers on the Elliptical Trainer.

Keith is great at what he does and we had a fun workout.

Go, Big Mama, go!

Now this stretch was certainly a fat squisher!

Yowza!  This stretch hurt!  But Keith looks like he is enjoying himself.....

Friends forever.

After the workout, Keith kindly invited us to his home for dinner.  His wife Lorraine welcomed us with open arms.  We laughed as we drank wine and poured over photos of ourselves on holiday in Acapulco during the early '80s, we talked about the trials and tribulations of raising a family, we ate the delicious dinner that Lorraine had prepared for us.  


It was great to re-connect with Keith and Lorraine after all these years.  Friends are friends are friends.  No matter what.  The people you loved in the 1980s are still the people you love in 2011.

Once a fitness freak, always a fitness freak.


3 comments:

  1. I love your fitness photo complete with the elk on the wall and the headband on your head. Remember our wrestler outfits? Oh man. We have such great memories, and I know we'll continue to make more. Your fitness partner in crime. Love Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, as always this is hilarious.
    You are an FF through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like so much fun with Keith, your personal trainer!
    Shu

    ReplyDelete