Thursday, March 22, 2012

Evolution of A Basement Room

Our kitchen renovation quickly turned into an upper floor reno, which then evolved into an 'entire house' renovation once we broke ground back in November.  I mean, seriously, were we going to have a fabulous kitchen (and dining room and living room and hallway and stairwell) with a hideous TV room in the basement?  I think not!  And besides, we figured if we were having the top floor of the house torn apart, why not have everything torn up at the same time?  Why wait?

The blinds have yet to be installed in the window and pictures need to be hung on the walls, but besides that the TV room is pretty much D-O-N-E!

Here is the evolution of our TV room......

January 8th

January 9th

January 11th

January 29th

January 29th

February 22nd

February 25th

February 29th

February 29th

When we decided to go ahead with this house renovation, I only had two requests.  I wanted a broom closet in the kitchen.  And I wanted a built-in bookshelf in the TV room.

March 1st

March 1st

March 1st

March 7th

I am absolutely THRILLED with the built-in bookshelf that Nathan Webb built for me.  My vision was to have my books and travel mementos all live together on the same set of shelves.

I am not much of a stylist.  In fact, I'm not a stylist AT ALL!  I looked at various websites for ideas as to how to tastefully incorporate lines of vertical books, stacks of horizontal books, and tchotchkes.

Books and reading are my life.

Once I got all of my books together, I culled 4 banana boxes of books and donated them to the Women's Centre.

I organized my novels into alphabetical order by author and piled the stacks of books from A-Z all around the room.  From there I placed them on the shelves, hoping they would all fit.  I put my reference books on one shelf, my gardening books on another, my travel books on yet another.  The books from my childhood were placed on the uppermost shelves.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the finished product:

March 22nd

March 22nd

I love my basement TV room.

3 comments:

  1. this looks awesome!!!
    -danelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully arranged Nanc! I bet you love sitting there and just staring at all those books. Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. flipping fantastic!!!!!!!!! I love love the book shelf!! It is gobsmacking!

    ReplyDelete